Google

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Blue Daisy Sun Catcher




This is a recently fused glass sun catcher I made a couple of weeks ago. I really had fun making this one! Take a close look at the blue petals. Some of them show some different colors, like purple. The blue glass is iridized, meaning it has a metallic coating on it that reflects many colors. When you see it in person and move it around with a light source behind it, it shows so many other colors. It is such a cool glass!!

The petals took awhile to make, so this glass sun catcher is really a labor of love! I hate to sell it on my website, because I love it so much. However, I can always make another one, so no worries.

I first did a full fuse of two layers of Spectrum 96 clear glass. After shaping and grinding all the glass pieces of the flower, I placed the flower pieces on the clear glass and did a medium tack fuse. I wanted the glass flower pieces to have some dimension.

A full fuse means that I completely fused the two layers of glass to each other to make one solid piece of glass. I heated the kiln up to 1475 degrees until the two layers became one piece. Then I cooled the kiln down very slowly -- this is called annealing. The glass is very durable when it is properly annealed.

A medium tack fuse means that I didn't completely fuse the glass flower pieces to the clear glass. I didn't heat the kiln up as hot; I only went up to 1400 degrees. The glass flower pieces have melted slightly into the clear glass, but not completely. The flower has some dimension.

Christine


Check out my Fused Glass Creations!
www.mastersglassart.com

Check out my other Glass Blog!
http://glassart.wordpress.com

No comments: