Google

Saturday, March 3, 2007

I'm Keeping Busy with Glass




This is one of the pendants I have made recently!! I call it "End of Lava Flow." The red glass was made this way by fusing glass frit. I took some pieces from the final piece and fused it onto a piece of white glass. I think it came out great!

It is a challenge to fire something in my kiln every day!

I have a manual ceramic kiln, which requires a lot of babysitting -- I have to watch the temperature as it heats up and then when I need to hold the temp. for 10-30 minutes, I need to be right by my kiln watching the temp. I also need to carefully watch the temps as I anneal -- making sure the kiln cools off slowly and holding at certain temps.

So, since I have to spend a lot of time by my kiln, which is in our garage, I can't work on my glass, which is in our basement. I can do a little here and there. It's not practical to move the kiln or move my workspace to be next to each other. There just isn't space left in our garage and in the winter, it is pretty cold. I don't want to have the kiln in the basement, because of the fumes when I use kiln shelf paper. Also, my husband spent a lot of time hooking up the 220 volt plug for the garage.

What I really need, of course, is a controller for my kiln. This allows for programming firing schedules, so I wouldn't need to be at the kiln watching the temperature and turning it up or down when I need to. We are going to get something better when our tax return comes, so I can't wait for that!


Christine



Check out my Fused Glass Creations!
www.mastersglassart.com

Check out my other Glass Blog!
http://glassart.wordpress.com

No comments: