Google

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A New Technique I Learned About

I was browsing the Warm Glass Forum, www.warmglass.com, the other day and saw a picture of a really cool vase made out of stringers, yes just stringers, no sheets of glass. The more I learned how these stringer vases are made, the more impressed I became.

First, they are tedious and take a long time to set up. You have to line up a whole bunch of stringers on the kiln shelf into the shape that you want. Then you tack fuse it. Then you do it again. Depending on the type of project, you do it a total of four times.

Then you stack the layers, alternating the directions, thus giving a basketweave pattern. Then you need to tack fuse the layers together. Then you slump or drape it in your desired mold.

I plan on giving this one a try, especially because I love baskets and weave my own baskets, so I love the pattern.

Check out www.warmglass.com for more in-depth directions on this technique.

Happy Fusing!

Christine

Check out my Fused Glass Creations!
www.mastersglassart.com

No comments: