Google

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I made a beautiful vase, but part of the lip curled up.



I learned about using a drop ring mold the hard way. I had spent a lot of time making this piece of glass. I first made some yellow glass lace that ended up as an oval. After awhile, I finally decided to fuse it to a piece of black glass that was about 1" larger. BTW, I use System 96 glass.

I didn't have an oval mold, so the glass sat for awhile until I decided to make a drop ring vase. I fused the oval glass to a round piece of black glass and a round clear piece. The entire glass piece was about 6 1/2" in diameter.

My drop ring mold measures 9" in diameter on the outside and the whole in the center is about 5." After asking a question on the www.warmglass.com forum about my problem, it came down to the fact that the piece of glass was too small. I should have had a 7" diameter piece of glass.

Since the rim was too small, the glass that is dropping started to pull the rim down with it.

I also asked another question about how to cut the rim off so I could salvage the piece. I got several different replies, but I think I will use a ring saw at my local glass shop and cut the rim off.

I'll keep you posted.

Christine



Check out my Fused Glass Creations!
www.mastersglassart.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Christine. Love your site! I was wondering how the ring saw worked with regard to cutting off the lip of your drop ring vase? thanks for your help! best, Pam

Christine said...

Hi Pam,

Thanks for your compliments about my website! The ring saw was able to cut the rim off :) However, part of the area that was cut through was thicker than other parts. I don't have any fancy cold working equipment, so the top of the vase is uneven and unpolished. Someday, when I can afford some cold working equipment, then I can work on it. I am not going to throw the vase away -- I like it too much.
Christine